Sunday, June 5, 2011

Waco it is!

After looking around at venues in Houston and feeling no real attachment to anything here, we decided to take a trip to Waco to see about getting married at Thomas' alma mater, Baylor University. The idea to Thomas made him giddy. If you know Thomas you know he is all about Baylor!

Baylor will be a place that we take our kids and visit a lot for football games, so the idea of having a memory of my own and a big "us" memory there got me excited, too.

Taking our traditional "Swing" Picture
The weekend was perfect, everything just seemed to work out! Just as we were driving into Waco, right over the "Waco" road sign a huge firework show started. We had the best seat in the house as we drove into Waco.



On Saturday, we went and looked at all the possibilties to get married and have the ceremony. I will post on that later. At first all of the places on Campus were locked, but we found a really nice painter and he let us in to everywhere we wanted to see. It was great and we have a few options we like!

We also met with a wedding coordinator and shopped  reception venues, too.

So the major "find" of the weekend was our venue location...... The Ridgewood Country Club!!

The Enterance to the Ridgewood Country Club
The Ridewood Country Club is about a 10 minute drive from the Baylor Campus right on Lake Waco. I was really surprised how nice the Lake was as well as a really great golf course (my uncles will be happy). It is an intimate space with a recently renovated and upgraded ballroom. It has indoor and outdoor space (covered, too!).

The Leon-Horton Wedding is in the Books!
The only concern I had about getting married in Waco was that I was unfamiliar with the city itself. Where would I find a florist, the music, a photographer and all theother  local details? Turns out one of my closest friends (and big sis in Chi O), Jana, her aunt is a party planner in Waco. Jana had told me over the years that she was a cool aunt that liked to have parties, but I didn't realize she was THE party planner in Waco. PLUS, she has worked with our wedding coodinator and our venue a lot. They mentioned her before I could even bring it up.


It feels fantastic having the big stuff picked out! Whew! That wasn't so bad and now we just have the details to work out. Luckily, I have a whole year to pick out the little things. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment