| This is my writing wall-- I think this is where I will put student work. I have some yellow letters I will put up when I am certain that is what I am going to use this space for. |
| This is my board |
| This is my reading corner-- I am working on a rug and pillows to make it an inviting place to read. The trackers will track how many books each student reads this year. |
| This is the front student table and my desk. I plan on adding pictures and some SMU gear to the wall behind me. |
| The "Start" of my library. I'll explain.... |
So answer to prayer.... I was really worried about not having enough books in my classroom for students to find one that they liked so they could read enough books to make their goals this year. Since we are a new school. the school library is a work in progress. They have set aside a lot of money to order books, so I know it will be great once it gets going. But, I wanted to make sure that I had a classroom library. But, I quickly realized that even though Borders is going out of business, books are expensive! Thomas' mom gave me the white collection on the second row and Leslie donated about 20 books as well. I was very blessed to have them help add to my library. But, between the books I bought and the donated books, I had about a shelf and a half filled.
Then, like I was saying earlier, answer to prayer. Half Price books has too many books for their shelves and donates their extra books they don't need. A fellow ELA teacher at my school was told about this and we called them to see if they would donate to us. Sure enough, we drove there, parked our cars and they FILLED our cars with BOXES of books. I am talking Twilight, The Giver, Hatchet, Harry Potter... I mean GREAT young adult books. 15 boxes.... yes 15 whole boxes of books. I have been going through the boxes and it is like Christmas morning. I have enough books to fill 4 or 5 more of these book cases!!!
These are what the boxes looked like.... although these are boxes that I sorted through that did not make the shelves, there were so many boxes of PERFECT books. I mean books that would have cost me THOUSANDS of dollars and a library that would take years to create all for FREE. I just can't get over it!
Now, disclaimer, I know I am a dork, and clearly meant to be an English teacher if I get this excited about books, but think about what this will do for my students. They will be able to choose books they want to read and that excite them! I can't wait to meet my kiddos on Tuesday.
Since the theme of this post is that I am a huge dork I will just continue on.... on a completely different note look what will be in theatres for 3 weeks in September!! Brittani and I already have plans to go! You know you want to come, too. Relive your childhood and sing along!
Wish me luck and please pray for me on my first week of school. I am a tad nervous, but I know that it will all be worth it!
"For the Lord grants wisdom. From his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest. He is a shield to those who walk with integrity. He guards the paths of the just and protects those who are faithful to him. Then you will understand what is right, just, and fair, and you will find the right way to go.” Proverbs 2:6-9
No comments:
Post a Comment