I had just come back from Dallas while traveling for work. Thomas picked me up from the airport and we went to dinner. He was being very affectionate and seemed a bit nervous. But, I just figured that he missed me a lot. I had mentioned weeks ago that I would like to go to the Bayou art festival at Memorial Park. So, Saturday morning Thomas said let’s go to the festival. We got in the car around 10:30 and on the way he says “oh I don’t think it has started yet, I think it starts at like 11”. So, he suggested that we go to this park by our houses that we go to all the time on pretty Saturdays. (It was a beautiful sun shiny Saturday that day).
I was clueless even though Thomas was wearing a Pi Kapp fleece in 80 degree weather. It turns out that the ring couldn’t fit in his pants pocket without being terribly obvious. So we go to the park and we are swinging on the swings just chatting and such. Thomas then changes his tone and starts describing how much he loves me and how he has been thinking about this moment for a long time. He stood up and got down on one knee in front of me. He opened the box and I tried to kiss him because I could tell he was nervous. He stopped me because he had not finished his little speech. He proceeded to ask me formally… Jamie Laura Leon, will you marry me? I, of course, said YES!
Then, he told me that my dear friend Leslie’s mom had been taking pictures the whole time. I had seen her when we walked in but she was pretending to take pictures of two young girls on the playground. So, I just thought she was taking pictures of them. Turns out she captured the moment perfectly! Then, to my surprise, my friends Leslie, Tanya, Melinda, Jessica, and Kaylee came running out from behind the tennis courts. It was so nice to share the moment with girls that have come to mean so much to me over the last year.
Then, we went to lunch downtown and went to the art festival. The day was not over then though…. I got to get all dolled up and go to Barrister’s Ball (law prom). It was so fun to get all dressed up and have some good quality time to call my family and share in my excitement while I was sitting in the chair getting my hair done.
Then we met my mom for appetizers and drinks (they were serving dinner at the dance) and share in our excitement with my mom. It makes me so happy to watch my mom and Thomas chat and laugh and enjoy spending time together (even when sharing embarrassing childhood stories or making jokes about my silly quirks). It really showed me how important it was that I moved back to Houston so that she could be there for all of these exciting moments.
Then we went to Barrister’s Ball and danced the night away… It was the most perfect, sweet, thoughtful and exciting day and exactly “us”.
The next day we shared our excitement with Thomas’ parents at brunch. Thomas has the sweetest parents who are so welcoming. We laughed about our history and about how his mom and I both love making lists. It was a fun brunch and I am so blessed to be joining such an amazing family.
We went to dinner with my parents at the Cheesecake Factory and although we were exhausted from the weekend we had a yummy dinner celebrating. My parents love Thomas and are so giddy with excitement for us. Mom still expects me to walk into the restaurant 3 feet tall, around age 7, but she is slowly coming to terms with the fact that I am growing up! Sweet mommy I will always be your little girl.
With a start like that, the future can be nothing but bright. Thomas did an amazing job of making the weekend everything I had ever hoped for. I love him so very much!
Thomas on one knee proposing...So excited and so happy!
Us with our friends who came to celebrate with us!
We found a sign that said CHAPEL when we had lunch downtown... so of course we had to take a picture in front of it.
Celebrating at Barrister's Ball
Dancing the night away!



No comments:
Post a Comment