Thursday, April 7, 2011

How We Met:

Thomas' Senior Prom


Most of y’all know that we have known each other since we were in high school. But, you may not know how we met and how we got to where we are today......



 Thomas went to Houston Christian High School and grew up in a subdivision about a half a mile from my neighborhood. But, even though we grew up so close to each other, it was not until we were about 17 and Thomas was lifeguarding over the summer that we met. Thomas lifeguarded at my pool, and for those of you who know me well, you know that my favorite past time is to lay out by the pool (and now while reading bridal magazines). 



 So, of course I spent hours a day by the pool over the summers, usually with other neighborhood friends. One in particular, who lived in my neighborhood, Kim, also went to high school with Thomas. She asked me to come up to the pool because the “lifeguard” was in her French class and she wanted me to talk him into asking her to homecoming. I got to the pool, was there for a bit, and then had to leave. So I introduced myself to Thomas and then said … “I’ll be right back”. That phrase will forever be a joke since no matter where we were or what stage of life we were at we always “came back” to each other.


Okay, okay back to the story. So eventually I come back to the pool and try to convince Thomas to ask out Kim. ( I did make an honest effort). I actually ended up dating someone else right after we met and thus placed Thomas in the “friend zone”.  He became my best friend, someone that I confided in and spent countless hours talking about life with at Starbucks. I was always myself with him. He jokes that it was only around him that I would wear sweat pants, a baseball hat and my glasses. My mom also, when I was running out the door, asked me to put on make-up and get more “put together”.  But, I always insisted “No mom it’s Thomas, he is just a friend”.



Anyways, we stayed very close through college even though Thomas went to Baylor and I went to SMU. We visited each other every once in awhile and he usually came to visit me for my birthday. We always spent a lot of time together over breaks when we were both in Houston.  There is one memory from age 18 or so where He, Kim and I were all sitting out by the lake and Thomas and I (although we were not dating) talked about getting married. We planned out an entire life together (one where we went to law school, moved to Austin and had 2 children). It seemed like such a natural conversation then, but looking back it sounds silly that we would like have talked like that without even dating.



We stayed close through college like I said, and one summer in college we were both back and I no longer thought of Thomas as just a friend.  Those years of putting him the in the “friend zone” came back to bite me. He didn’t want to date.  I was upset but I felt I deserved it. So, we continued being friends, but we both knew that eventually something more was bound to come of our relationship. In fact, even though I was dating someone else, Thomas would text me “When are you going to break up with ****** and marry me”. 



Then around graduation we both had plans to move back to Houston and decided then would be a good time to start dating. Well, God had other plans, Thomas got a job traveling for Pi Kapp and I got a job in Dallas. So we visited and stayed close over that year. We had our ups and downs and it was not easy but in the end it brought us that much closer.



The Lord then led us both to Houston at the same time. Thomas started law school and I got a job in Houston. We started dating the summer of ’10 and the months following have been some of the best of my life.  We have an unique history but I know we will have an amazing future. I am so blessed to have found someone, even if I knew him all along, that loves me sweat pants, no make-up, baseball hat, just me.  I can’t wait to share the rest of my life with him!
Lessons I learned:
Timing is everything. The Lord has a plan.
Always wear lipstick and mascara, no matter who you are going out with. You just never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment