This week I will get a sneak peek of who my new 6th graders will be. I have to say I am a little nervous about having a whole new class of kiddos. Nervous and really really excited. Nervous because it takes a bit to learn about the kids, to know their reading levels, their background knowledge, who needs that extra help in class or who needs to be pushed to reach their full potential. Also, in my mind, my first class of kids were "my first kids" and they were great. I just don't know if the kids can get any better.
But, I'm really really excited because it is a new challenge. It is a challenge to work to see where my kids are academically and how to best help them, to figure out what they like and want to learn about and find ways to differentiate my lessons to help them. New kids to share my love of reading and to help find theirs. New kids to teach, to challenge, to hold to high expectations and to show them that learning is tough, but a lot of fun, too! I am looking forward to having a year behind me to use those experiences of what worked and what didn't last year to improve my teaching.
This week will be a great preview and I can't wait to jump right back in! I have a feelling the minute class starts all my nerves will go away and I will be in my element. I have always felt that teaching makes me the most "me" and that no matter what is going on around me or in my mind, when I am teaching, I am in the moment and so focused on my class that everything else washes away.
Oh and exciting, too... my first class as Mrs. Horton :)
No comments:
Post a Comment