Friday, July 6, 2012

Girl Power



-Photo from  nytimes.com


How awesome is this young girl, Julia Bluhm? She started a petition asking 17 Magazine to stop showing images of women photoshopped and altered in ways to change their appearance from "real" to what society thinks is "beautiful". I know growing up, and still today, I look at pictures of models and celebrities on magazines and online I can hear myself saying, "Wow, I wish I had..." or " I wish I were..." But, at 25 I can also say, "Hey, they have personal trainers, chefs, they are AIRBRUSHED and I am beautiful just as God has made me!" It is harder for younger girls to not see these photos and think poorly of themselves. I teach kiddos who are at an age where insecurities are high and I don't think the magazine are making them feel any better about themselves. So, I am excited that 17 Magazine is taking a step in the right direction and “never change girls’ body or face shapes,” and “celebrate every kind of beauty in our pages.”

See the articles below! Way to go Julia Bluhm!

17 Magazine Against Photoshopped Images

Julia Bluhm Wins!


No comments:

Post a Comment