I'm back! I took a little hiatus from blogging around the Holidays. Between the hustle and bustle of the Holidays, being out of town and working on spending more quiet time (read: work in progress), I let the blog go for a bit. Part of me was feeling like the blog was another part of my to-do list. But, I didn't realize how nice it is to capture memories and get things down on paper virtual or otherwise.
I switched my usual "blogging" time to "quiet" time. This is time that I spent in prayer or reading just focusing on areas of my life that are put on the back burner much too often. I set a goal to read at least 1 book a month. Leave it to an English teacher for it to be February and she is finishing book 5.
So, I thought I would jump back into the blog by sharing what I had done other than blogging. Over the next few blogs I will sort of back blog the last couple of months. I'll blog about the things we have been up to and "catch up" if you will.
To start, here are some of the books I have read so far this year. Some are for fun and some are for spiritual growth. It all started when my husband gifted me an iPad for Christmas. So, I asked for suggestions for iBooks. It was too easy to just click, purchase, book is in my library read for me to read! So, my virtual library is quickly coming together.
Over Christmas break and traveling to California I wanted a light funny vacation read. This book had me laughing out loud while reading in the airport (cue awkward glances).
Then, when I told someone that I enjoyed Tina's book (yes, after reading her book I feel like we are on first name basis), I was told I would like Mindy Kaling's book. It was good...but not as good as Tina's.
Then, a teacher friend introduced me to Timothy Keller... So I switched from funny to spiritual growth. Both of these were great. "Counterfeit Gods" really got me. It is something that I am working on and it was one of those books where you know that God was working through my teacher friend when she recommended it. At the end it said. "Other Books by Timothy Keller", so click, click, purchase, done! "The Meaning of Marriage" was wonderful and not just for marrieds like myself. A lot of it is devoted to the search as well. (I recommend "Sacred Search" by Gary Thomas if you want a whole book dedicated to that topic... exceptional author!).
Then, as I was finishing "The Meaning of Marriage" I read a sorority sister's blog and she also had Tina Fey's book on her list. So, of course, I thought we must have similar taste in books. One in particular caught my eye, "Unglued" by Lysa Terkeurst. I always heard her on KSBJ for Proverbs 31, and she always sounded so put together and "perfect". I always listened thinking, "Wow, I wish that was the way I responded or would react in that situation." So once again, click, click, purchase, done! Now I am wrapping up "Unglued" and finding myself repeating "Jesus" or "Grace" in times of stress. For example, getting gas, in the rain (sideways Texas rain) and the gas pump won't stay... keeps clicking... going at a snails pace... running late for work...totally soaked... "grace", "grace", "grace", "grace". Needless to say, I totally recommend this book!
Happy Reading! I have a few more books in my line up that I am excited to get to. I have some 6th grade literature in there, too which are always fun reads and great ways to get kids pumped about reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment