Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Black Friday... on Thursday?

Call me old fashion, but when did Black Friday start on THANKSGIVING? I believe that Thanksgiving is time to be spent with family. I have never been the one in line at Best Buy 3 days early camping out.  I really have never even been to a mall on Black Friday, at least never on purpose. My sanity was never worth the extra couple of dollars I could save.

I mean I get that the more people out shopping boosts the economy, but what about the people working at Wal-Mart or Target or even the GAP and other retailers. I was at the GAP the other day picking up a Christmas gift and read the sign that they were open on Thursday. I asked the lady at the counter if she had to work, and sure enough, one day back from maternity leave with her new baby at home, she would be working on Thanksgiving. She wasn't excited about it. It floored me. I bit my tongue and just congratulated her on her new baby. But, I couldn't help but think that regardless of the economy, family time is too important.

I am very thankful to not have to work on Thursday or Friday and get that quality time with family. In fact, I am blessed twice as I get to have two Thanksgivings on Thursday ( read: diet starts Friday ;)). Buying the new gadget will just never be more important to me than family and I am okay with that. Memories will last longer...

No comments:

Post a Comment